Monday, July 4

Task 7: Balls

I love balls. So round, so curvaceous, so delightful to caress. I can’t think of a better way to spend an evening than swivelling some balls in my hand, letting them rest gently in my palm, whilst I trace the outline of them with my thumb.

So with this in mind, the game I would like to suggest is as follows:

Players: two as a minimum, but three is fun too. Four is possible, though complicated, but five is just greedy and should be avoided at all costs.

Venue: Any flat, dry comfortable surface.

Concept: Each player selects a pair of balls with which to play. They have the choice of small, medium and large sizes – each has its advantages and disadvantages (small ones are faster, large ones are more powerful). Players must show dexterity and balance with their balls – the ability to hold them in one’s hand without them moving is considered a much sought after skill.

When ball-agility has been proven, the real fun begins. Parallel to a wall, each player lines up next to each other and drops to their knees, letting their balls rest gently on their fingertips. Then in turn, each player lowers their balls to the floor and gets ready for the launch: one by one, the players must roll their balls away from their body trying to get as close to the wall as possible without

a) hitting the wall with their balls

b) getting their balls touched by other people’s balls

The winner is the person who manages to smash other people’s balls with their own balls. Extra points are given if one’s balls crack another’s balls, chipping them in the process.

It sounds like quite a dangerous sport, but I assure you that it is quite safe. The only risk one faces is the loss of one’s balls, but apart from that, it is safe for players of any age. It is very easy to play once you get the hang of handling the balls – I have built up quite a collection of other people’s balls over the years, and I proudly display them on my mantelpiece.

The name of this fantastically fun game? Why, Marbles of course. Now, who wants to let me have a go with their balls?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home